Petering Funeral Home began as a service to the friends of Muskogee and its neighboring suburbs. During the early 1900's the Petering family provided a freight transport and livery service from the railroad to the community. The response to this professional service was so positive that local residents began requesting the livery service to assist in the delivering of caskets to the cemetery. This dignified means of professional fulfillment brought the Petering Funeral Home full circle into the funeral service profession. In 1919 the livery service was turned into a full service funeral home, and moved from Cherokee Street to its current location at 9th and West Okmulgee Avenue.
The original founder of Petering Funeral Home was Carl Petering. He and his family settled in Muskogee at the turn of the century and with the aspirations of building a legacy for the citizens of their city. Mr. Petering's son, Don grew up in the family funeral home and followed in his father's footsteps, becoming a second generation funeral director. In the early 1950's, Don Petering forged a strong bond with friend and peer, Wayne N. Foster. In 1971 Mr. Foster along with his sons began operating as owners of Foster-Petering Funeral Home. As Carl Petering built a legacy for the community, Wayne N. Foster was pleased to have the opportunity to continue and strengthen that legacy. Wayne's son, Joe B. Foster and grandson, Taylor B. Foster became involved in the family funeral home.
Foster-Petering continues to honor the legacy they built through many years of service to the community.